Thursday, May 14, 2009

"Trouble"

The trouble with "trouble" is you never know where or when trouble will occur. I bet you've experienced many kids of trouble in your life....friends that talk about you, family members who disappoint you, the death of someone you love, losing something important to you, etc. I always appreciate a book that show me how other people deal with trouble in their lives. Perhaps if I've had the same experience, I get new ideas about how to deal with a situation next time. Or perhaps I might learn something to use when I run head first into a new kind of "trouble."
Gary Schmidt's new book, Trouble, is one of those books. There's plenty in the story that I have never experienced (like going to a preparatory school where everybody is really smart or living in Massecheusetts) but there's a lot I can relate to.
For Henry Smith, the main character in Schmidt's novel, trouble shows up with a capital "T" on the eve of his 14th birthday. Henry's father is fond of saying "If you build your house far enough away from Trouble, then Trouble will never find you." I'm not sure I agree with Henry's dad. I think trouble can find you wherever you are. Trouble is just a fact of life. Things don't always go the way we want them to, and people don't do the things they should. Sometimes they do bad things for good reasons.
Henry's world is turned upside down when his older brother is critically injured an a car accident. As he and his family struggle to cope, they learn alot about each other and Henry learns the truth about the accident.
One part of the book that I could really relate to is Black Dog. Henry saves this dog from drowning. This part is kind of sad. She wins over the whole family and provides a way to help them cope with their grief. My own good black dog is named Ellie and she behaves just as crazy as Black Dog does. You'll be surprised when you find out how Black Dog ended up in the water.
I'm anxious for you to read this book and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Preview of NEW book titles.....Click on the arrow to see what's new

Cdinneen's Show on PhotoPeach